Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Celebrating ‘Culture Fest’ with WHS Cultural Clubs and College Organizations

“Culture Fest,” hosted by Gear Up Manoa 2024, took place on October 27, 2023 from 2:30-4:00 pm at Waipahu High School’s Cafeteria. 

Cultural Clubs from Waipahu High School and College Organizations from University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hawaii Community College, and University of Hawaii – West Oahu were in attendance. All clubs and college organizations had their designated booths providing information, hosting games, participating in performances, and celebrating culture.

When students approached the Waipahu High School Cafeteria, there were balloons welcoming them to sign in at the “Seniors” or “Underclassmen” table. There, they received a “Culture Fest Passport.” In this passport, students could get it stamped from the various booths they visited, as well as receive an incentive of a free bento for the first 100 students to complete it.

Inside the passport, there was a reflection portion and an “I am” poem where students could write about where they and their family are from and something to share about their culture. These “I am” poems were read throughout the event with willing participants.

At the different booths, Hawaiian Club gave out out tattoos, Black Culture Club allowed students to make bracelets, Japanese Club had multiple different games relating to Japanese culture, Spanish Club helped students make dreamcatchers, and Fil-Am Club had Sungka, Tinikling, and handed out a “My Mini-Book” relating to Filipino culture.

During Culture Fest, Tasi Pasefika and Hawaiian Club performed. There were also games such as “gimme gimme” and team-related games with prizes given to the winners.

The TIDES program at University of Hawaii at Manoa’s booth had trivia, university information, and gave out daily affirmations. Their goal is to increase the enrollment and academic success of Asian American and Pacific Islander students at their school.

Micronesian Wayfinders at Honolulu Community College wants to support and unify all Micronesians. On their website it says, “The term wayfinders pays homage to the resiliency of Micronesian people, and respect to Master Navigator Papa Mau Piailug.” 

‘Illima SACNAS at University of Hawaii at Manoa’s main focus is to support “underrepresented & minoritized scholars in STEM across O’ahu.” They support their undergraduate and graduate students to have successful careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

‘Ai Pohaku at the University of Hawaii – West Oahu (email: [email protected]) and Fealofani O Samoa at the University of Hawaii at Manoa were also in attendance spreading their message and culture at their booths.