Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Murals can spread artistry across new locations in Waipahu

Illustration by Shayna May Udani (’24)

Throughout Waipahu, you may recognize some unique murals on the corner of Kahuailani and Mokuola Street, across from Waipahu High School, or along boards at Waikele Shopping Center that represent the culture and history of the community. Besides these sights, you will notice new construction and restorations in Waipahu.

Local artists should be commissioned to create more murals and breathe life into new locations all over Waipahu.

Recent locations with construction and renovation work include the Hans L’Orange Park, Kupuna Loop roundabouts, Waipahu High School W building, and most prominently, the Skyline stations. Despite their novelty, vandalism is already popping up at some of these structures, such as the wall adjacent to the Kupuna Loop roundabouts and a Skyline pillar at the Hālawa station.

Additionally, in my opinion, these constructions can look a bit bland after completion due to the neutral colors and monotone shades of gray and beige. Vandalism only adds to these negative qualities as it makes it less aesthetically pleasing and stands out as something that takes over the original work.

Murals could solve these issues by establishing meaningful art on these structures, leaving less blank canvases for vandalism and adding visual appeal through a local lens.

After growing to support more local artists through conventions and showcases, I have a greater appreciation for the work they do and what they provide for the community. I think seeing more locally-driven art leaves a positive and prideful feeling for the place we represent and uplifts the presence of small artists and businesses to be recognized for their talents.

Existing murals in our state show the unique talent and culture that local artists are able to bring to our communities.

A prominent initiative is World Wide Walls (previously known as POW! WOW! Worldwide) and their Hawaii Walls mural festivals, which are responsible for various street art across Honolulu. These festivals feature a numerous and diverse collection of artists, creating large-scale murals that add eye-catching pops of color, uplifting messages, and nods to daily life in Hawai’i.

The success of these festivals and opportunity of our latest constructions should encourage more artistic festivals and events to expand across Hawai’i and into Waipahu.