Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

59 Years of Celebrating Arthur’s Awards

Waipahu High School’s Arthur’s Awards turned 59 this year. Our school’s famous Homecoming tradition came to be when a group of juniors decided the school deserved more school spirit.

The founding junior class of 1965 was at a Waipahu High School football game when they noticed there was no excitement and enthusiasm. The junior class started to cheer as loudly as they could, in hopes to bring together more students.

The senior class, sitting beside them on the bleachers, decided to join in. This event stirred up into a friendly competition between the upperclassmen, thus sparking the idea of Arthur’s.

Now, the Arthur’s Awards is a cheer competition between all the grade levels, freshmen through seniors. The winner is awarded the Arthur’s Awards trophy, donated by the founding class.

Social Studies teacher, Tracy Laferriere, shares, “People from the outside admire it because they see how, even though you’re getting pride in your class, there’s still pride in the school as a whole.”

The thrilling event unites the school as they prepare for the Homecoming football game. This year’s opponent came in from the east side, the Castle Knights (Castle High School).

The tradition has remained strong for years, but that was not always the case. It took time to develop the Arthur’s into what it is today. Before there were mandatory cheer practices, the Arthur’s Awards was fully voluntary.

“Students would come on their own merit to participate,” says Laferriere.

Student Government advisor and Waipahu High School’s activities coordinator, Joy Takara, says, “Every place we go, everybody asks how do you guys do that?”

Neighboring schools have recognized the amount of student participation we have and developed cheer competitions of their very own.

Waipahu High School alumni have left their legacy and it is our job to uphold it. To future and present marauders, never forget to participate and give it your all. Hope you had a great Arthur Awards!