Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

A Look Into Waipahu High School’s Student Government

Student Government (SG) is an organization under Waipahu High School’s activities coordinator, Joy Takara. This council represents the school and consists of 19 students who are each assigned a significant role.

SG hosts and plans various activities throughout the school year. They also host Homecoming week, create spirit weeks, tour guests, plan community services, and many more. They make sure all big events or activities are perfect and everything goes well. They do their best to provide and make the school experience enjoyable for the students.

To start off the day, the members gather together for their meeting at 7:30 a.m. and discuss their plans for the week or month. The members say it is very important for them to plan months in advance as they do not like stressing over them at the last minute.

Riley Salamat, a senior in the academy of Health and Sciences and the Vice President of SG, says he wakes up early and leaves his house around 6:50 a.m in order to make it on time to their meetings.

When asked about the topics they discuss during their meetings, Alexis Rae Soriano, a junior in the academy of Professional and Public services and the SG treasurer, states, “We usually go over things that we have to do that day, week, month, next month, etc. Like, for example, this month, it was mainly Homecoming, but we were also doing things for next month. Most of the things we talk about, we’re not allowed to talk about outside of SG because Takara always talks about how things are not finalized.”

Their meetings last until 7:55 a.m., just before the first bell rings and the first period of the day begins.

SG members are always busy preparing for events and working hard every day. During Homecoming week and Arthur’s Awards, the members are very busy and have many different duties and tasks to do everyday. They made lei for the judges, tested the floats for the parade, and prepared the Homecoming court members.

Riley says, “Almost every day is different for us. Along with our daily meetings, we often have lunch time activities, which many members need to get out of their periods early to help set up. Then, many of us stay in the SG room after school to work on our projects that we need for events. Especially for Homecoming, it is important for us to stay back after school to work on our unity banner, float decorations, prepare things for each Homecoming day, and more.”

SG finished preparations just a couple of days before Arthur Awards and executed their responsibilities the day of the event.