Students create products for Young Entrepreneurs Marketplace

The Hoʻonanea (relaxation) Package contains a bar of pohinahina and lavender soap, a pohinahina and lavender lotion bar, and a packet of 5 individual mamaki tea bags.

Using locally sourced materials grown right at Waipahu High School, students from the Academy of Natural Resources Food Systems Pathway partnered with the Agriculture and Food Production Business Pathway to create products for the Hawaii Agricultural Foundation’s Young Entrepreneurs Marketplace.

Through the HAF’s Young Entrepreneurs program, The marketplace gives middle to high school students an opportunity to sell their own original products. Products for sale by Waipahu High School students include pohinahina lavender soap and lotion bars, mamaki tea, and a relaxation basket with all products combined. 

These products are listed under the brand name “Na Pua ʻAina o Waipiʻo” which “expresses how the students are stewards of the land within the ahupua’a of Waipi’o and cultivate it for production,” says Academy of Natural Resources teacher Sherry Tenn.

The Marketplace website is open from now through March 22.

The students will also sell their products in person at the KCC Farmers’ Market on April 22.