New building construction estimated to be complete in December

A rendering of the Integrated Academy Facility courtesy of WRNS studio.

Waipahu High School’s new Integrated Academy Facility building is expected to be completed by December 2022. The building will have three floors, each designed for Waipahu High School’s different career academies and pathways. The facility’s purpose is for students, teachers, and other staff to come together and provide support for one another.

The building was originally expected to be completed at the end of this school year. However, its construction brought some challenges, such as getting electrical lines hooked up in a timely manner. With a project this big, the school has added another electrical enclosure to campus.

The first floor of the Integrated Academy Facility is dedicated to the Academy of Natural Resources. “Some rooms will be more empty, because Natural Resources will retrofit it to their needs” such as aquaponics and hydroponics, Principal Meryl Matsumura says.

The second floor will contain a computer lab and design thinking room, along with chemistry and biotechnology classrooms. It will also include an administrative office, counseling offices, and a conference room.

The third floor is primarily dedicated to culinary arts and will consist of a kitchen, dining area, banquet hall, and open terrace. The banquet hall will hold up to 120 people to host The Marauder Cafe and other events. 

“This is only phase one of the new building,” Matsumura says. The next phase will focus on developing 11 classrooms.

Construction has moved onto the third floor of the new building. (Alexis Soriano)