Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

Waipahu High School's Student Newspaper

The Cane Tassel

All About The Sound of Freedom

Illustration by: Maryann McCann

The movie, Sound Of Freedom, was released on July 4, 2023. Sound of Freedom is based on the true story of Tim Ballard, the founder and former CEO of Operation Underground Railroad. While working with the government, he felt the need to fight against child trafficking.

When Tim had encountered the little boy at the border, the boy gifted Tim a necklace his sister gave him to let him know she’s still in the custody of traffickers. The little boy wanted Tim to save her and that was his motivation. He tricked other operations in order to rescue siblings in Colombia.

During Tim’s journey, he had quit his job, putting his life on the line to rescue victims of child traffickers in the deep Colombian jungle.

In my opinion, this movie was very despairing to those young children who had to go through this. The trauma these young children had to go through at such a young age is very heartbreaking. These young children were tricked into a non-existent youth talent agency but really were abducted.

This movie was such an eye opener to be careful who you trust and what is really going on in the world. I watched the movie the day it came out. While watching the movie, the part that stuck out to me was when there were so many child traffickers and they were picking and choosing their kids, there were prostitutes.

It was saddening to watch, and knowing this happens in the real world is even more worse to think about.

Nadia Rivera goes to Mililani High School. She is currently 17-years-old. She watched the movie Sound Of Freedom at the Consolidated Theatres in Mililani two weeks after the movie had come out.

Rivera went with her mom but discovered her mom already watched it too. She said she expected the movie to be like a film. She felt despondent for the little children and what they had to go through.

Rivera learned to always be careful who to trust and investigate companies you leave your kids with. She also mentioned to always read through people and see red flags when they don’t let a parent be with their children.